What is Depression?
Everyone feels a bit sad from time to time – depression is a more serious form of this. If you have depression these feelings can last most of each day, for a noticeable period of time – for example, a couple of weeks. It’s more than just feeling down or in a low mood.
Depression symptoms can vary from mild to severe and can include:
- Feeling sad or having a depressed mood
- Loss of interest or pleasure in activities once enjoyed
- Changes in appetite — weight loss or gain unrelated to dieting
- Trouble sleeping or sleeping too much
- Loss of energy or increased fatigue
- Increase in purposeless physical activity (e.g., inability to sit still, pacing, handwringing) or slowed movements or speech (these actions must be severe enough to be observable by others)
- Feeling worthless or guilty
- Difficulty thinking, concentrating or making decisions
- Thoughts of death or suicide
The good news is that with the right treatment and support, most people with depression can make a full recovery. At Insight Counselling we’re here to help you through every step of recovery.